Happy Saint Valentine’s Day or is it? For so many of us who are alone St Valentine can feel like a real down day, a day when we feel invisible and that we do not fit into the ‘myth’ of happily ever afer coupledom. I do not say this out of bitterness, some couples work really well, they complement each other well and the whole is more than the two parts put together however it feels this society does not value independence, living alone and not having ‘another half’. The truth is that sometimes being alone is a choice and sometimes it is imposed to us due to life circumstances. I recently saw the E-Harmony advert (dating agency) which said that being single is a wondeful experience and therefore being with someone else should feel even better. I loved the positive slant to this affirmation. However for those of us that do not particularly enjoy St Valentine’s but still wish to have a nice day here is list of suggestions I found on several internet sites:
- Write some positive affirmations about yourself and your life. Just the process of writing them helps us re-focus our aims and see what areas of our life could do with a prop. Got to this link for further information http://evelynlim.hubpages.com/hub/List-Of-Positive-Daily-Affirmations
- Concentrate on giving rather than not receiving. Do something for someone else, can you give flowers to a member of the family? Go out for a while? Help out a friend in need? Volunteer for a cause?
- Focus on yourself for the day. Write a list of good qualities you have e.g. good listener, kind, generous etc. etc. add some drawings
- Make a vision board about our life, for the next year, to attract the relationship you want, to develop more self love. Vision boards are a powerful tool that help us re-focus on our aims and goals. Just the process of making them canhelp us clarify what it is we want from life and what signals we are putting out there. Go to this page for further information http://christinekane.com/how-to-make-a-vision-board/
- Treat yourself, buy yourself some flowers (I did that yesterday and also bought some for my friend who I will be seeing later), have a long soak in a bath whilst reading a good book, have a pampering massage, a pedicure or a manicure. The aim is to feel good about yourself.
- Go out with your girlfriends. I am spending some of the day with my friend who is also single. We are going out for lunch and then to a Valentine’s afternoon concert. It is a lovely way to spend the day with people who you like and who also like you. It takes your mind off things and helps you remember that friendships are great.
- See yourself through someone else’s eyes. I try to see myself through my children’s eyes so I carry letters and pictures they have drawn for me, it makes me feel good. I also spend time with my pets and feeling grateful for the love I do have in my life.
- Read through my past blogs or book a treatment with me. I am sure you can find something uplifting and you can look forward to your treatment.