Ways to Accept What Is
There are some things you can do to learn to live a happy life. Here are some suggestions:
Laugh every day. Find something to have a big belly laugh about every day. Famed author and journalist Norman Cousins liked to watch Marx brothers movies.
1. Communicate your needs. Some people get angry when someone doesn’t do something even though they didn’t tell that person what is desired. Don’t expect your children, friends, family, lover or spouse to do something—tell them. If you don’t tell them they won’t know.
2. Accept people as they are. Don’t try to change people into something they aren’t. If you want them to do something differently, let them know what you want and need. Give them the opportunity to do things that will please you.
3. Treat yourself well! Be kind to yourself. You deserve it. Give yourself a treat from time to time. Be as accepting of yourself as you are of others.
4. Work for change with love. Don’t try to change something you feel is unfair because you hate the unfairness. Work for change because you love what can be.
5. Share your smiles. People smile and are happy with people who give smiles. However, it’s important to really mean it when you smile. People instinctively know when you’re honest.
6. Don’t expect instant change. People—including you—take time to change. Compliment people when they change in ways you’ve told them you’d like. Laugh if they don’t.